As almost everyone knows, specialized DWI police units are often looking for people to pull over in the late evening and early morning hours to check for possible DWI violations. Especially, in Texas, after 2:00 a.m., after the bars close. Any traffic violation, no matter how small, is legal grounds for stopping a vehicle and asking the driver to produce a driver’s license and proof of insurance.
So, other than the obvious–that is, don’t drive-take a cab home- if you have any question in about whether you have had too much to drink, what can you do to prevent being stopped? If you follow these few items, your chances of not being stopped will be greatly improved:
1) Always wear your seat belt.
2) Stop at the marked line at stop signs or traffic lights.
3) Don’t try to make it through the yellow light.
4) Pay attention to the lane makers.
5) This may be the most important: always use your turn signals to change lanes–you need to signal for a second or two before changing lanes. And, of course, use you signals before turning.
Just follow these five rules & you can prevent having to talk to the friendly officer at a time when you just want to be safely home.
Wade Russell, Board Certified Criminal Attorney